I have come to you with some truly sad news from the world of boxing. Paul Williams, the former WBO two time welterweight champion, has been involved in a motorcycle accident. The details of the accident are scant, but we will give you what we know.
Paul Williams was riding his motorcycle home from a wedding celebration and, according to him, he had to swerve off the road to avoid a head on collision with a car. We were unable to confirm the validity of this statement.
The most important factor that can be confirmed is that Paul Williams has been declared as paralyzed from the waist down. The doctors have said that 90% of his spinal cord was severed. The remaining 10% is the part that controls his arms and shoulders. They have said that he will not be able to regain control of his legs. This is especially troubling because he was planning on making a comeback at the upcoming pay per view main event in September where he would be facing off against Canelo Alvarez.
Williams is remaining optimistic. While he is going to need to step away from the heavyweight boxing bags, he has not accepted his diagnosis as an inevitable death sentence. He has declared that he is going to walk again. Even if he never returns to the ring, he is not going to stop trying. He says that he will be back, but the reality is a bit harsher than many would hope.
Williams was said to be joking in the hospital room, saying that he would need to try his hand at standup comedy again before he was able to take a swing at the boxing bags again. A positive mindset and optimistic outlook will help him in his new life.
We wish Paul Williams the best on his road to recovery.